Varnish with many TIME_WAIT sockets and traffic problems

Marinos Yannikos mjy at geizhals.at
Tue Sep 27 15:04:54 CEST 2011

On 27.09.2011 14:51, John S. wrote:
> Any clue ? As this is in production right now, I will have to rollback
> to Squid if I can not figure it out.

How are you distributing the traffic between your servers? From the
bandwidth vs. hits it seems that connections are handled differently, my
guess was keepalives lasting longer with Varnish and therefore if your
load balancer uses a "least connections" metric or similar, it will
simply send more traffic to servers that close connections earlier.
Which means that this says nothing about the actual performance of the
servers and whether it would get better or worse if you switched all
servers to Varnish.

How do the HTTP headers look when coming from Varnish vs. Squid? Perhaps
they offer some hints.

Regards,
  Marinos