caching http POST

Jeroen Ooms jeroen.ooms at stat.ucla.edu
Mon Apr 2 07:55:56 CEST 2012

My back-end server does rpc stuff mostly with http POST and always sends
appropriate cache-control headers in the response. I would like to use
varnish to do caching. However, I noticed that caching POST request might
not be as easy as caching GET. If I return 'lookup' in vcl_recv for a http
POST, then it seems to be replaced with a http GET.

Is there any way Varnish can be used to cache POST request? Or does Varnish
only cache by url? Naturally, the body of the post request should match
that of the cached response for a hit...

Thanks,

Jeroen