segfaults with varnish 2.1 on Ubuntu

Alex Hooper ahooper at bmjgroup.com
Wed Apr 4 16:14:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

We've been running varnish for the last few years on a RHEL box and it has been
very stable -- I don't recall ever having to restart the service.

The version we ran there was:

# varnishd -V
varnishd (varnish-2.1.3 SVN 5049:5055)
Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Linpro AS / Verdens Gang AS

It was run with these params:

DAEMON_OPTS="-a :80 \
              -T localhost:6082 \
              -f /usr/local/etc/varnish/bmjgroup.vcl \
              -s file,/var/varnish \
              -n /var/varnish"

and the system was

   - OS: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server release 5.5 (Tikanga)
   - RAM: 16 GB

We have recently migrated to a virtualised platform and are now running varnish
on a VM running Ubuntu 10.04.3 LTS. This also has 16GB RAM. The version is
slightly lower than the previous (as the preference is to use the packaged
version rather than roll our own):

$ varnishd -V
varnishd (varnish-2.1 SVN )
Copyright (c) 2006-2009 Linpro AS / Verdens Gang AS

It is started with these params:

NFILES=131072 # (used for ulimit -n)
MEMLOCK=82000 # (used for ulimit -l)
DAEMON_OPTS="-a :80 \
              -T localhost:6082 \
              -f /etc/varnish/bmjgroup.vcl \
              -s file,/var/lib/varnish/$INSTANCE \
              -n varnish-01"

We are encountering a problem with the new instance which will run fine for
about a week and then start to give random errors, generally just resetting the
connection to clients. At this point, trying to examine the running process with
varnishlog or varnishstat results in the tool instantly segfaulting. Restarting
the server fixes everything until it happens again

I'm a little unsure as to the best place to start looking as I try to fix this
(admittedly partly as I'm dealing with a large mopping-up exercise after
migrating out entire production environment) so wondered whether anyone might
have any suggestions.

Cheers,

Alex.
--
Alex Hooper
Operations Team Leader, BMJ Group, BMA House, London WC1H 9JR

The BMJ Group is one of the world's most trusted providers of medical information for doctors, researchers, health care workers and patients group.bmj.com.  This email and any attachments are confidential.  If you have received this email in error, please delete it and kindly notify us.  If the email contains personal views then the BMJ Group accepts no responsibility for these statements.  The recipient should check this email and attachments for viruses because the BMJ Group accepts no liability for any damage caused by viruses.  Emails sent or received by the BMJ Group may be monitored for size, traffic, distribution and content.  BMJ Publishing Group Limited trading as BMJ Group.  A private limited company, registered in England and Wales under registration number 03102371.  Registered office: BMA House, Tavistock Square, London WC1H 9JR, UK.