Sharing a cache between multiple Varnish servers

Neil Saunders n.j.saunders at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 10:25:06 CEST 2012

Hi all -

A two part question on cache sharing:

a) I've got 3 web servers each with a 3.5Gb memory cache. I'd like them to
share a cache but don't want to use the experimental persistant storage
backend - Are there any other options?

b) We run a cache warming script to ensure a certain set of URL's are
always cached, but at the moment the script requests to all 3 web heads to
ensure cache consistency - I see that Varnish supports PUT operations -
Would it be feasible for the cache warmer to request content from webhead 1
and make a "PUT request to servers 2 & 3? I've searched high and low for
documentation on this but can't find anything.

All help greatly appreciated!

Neil