retry on 503 -- but not right away please

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Wed Apr 25 14:58:36 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 02:44:37PM +0200, Anders Daljord Morken wrote:
> I think you want https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/VCLExampleSaintMode
>  =)

Unfortunately I don't think that helps. I don't have a stale version of
these files when it happens (or the stale version would have been
outdated) and I only have one backend server.

> See also
> https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/tutorial/handling_misbehaving_servers.html

The "Known limitations on grace- and saint mode" on that page says:

	"If your request fails while it is being fetched you're thrown into
	 vcl_error. vcl_error has access to a rather limited set of data so
	 you can't enable saint mode or grace mode here."

  -jf