Sharding with Varnish

Enno van Amerongen enno at tty.nl
Wed Aug 1 21:46:22 CEST 2012

From: Poul-Henning Kamp [mailto:phk at phk.freebsd.dk]

In message <50192529.6010808 at tty.nl>, Enno van Amerongen writes:

  >3. Calculate which shard must handle the request

  Look at the "hash" director.

The problem with the hash director in my case is, is that I think it's hard to predict, if possible at all. I need to know on which servers to store which files.
  You can also implement your own algorithm in a VMOD

I think that's the direction for us, so that we can control the dispatching to several clusters of backends by an id somewhere in the url.
Funny that we discussed VMODs at VUG2 in Amsterdam before they existed ;)
Been a Varnish fanboy ever since, it's done wonders for me (and billions of requests). Excellent job mate!

Enno