Out of memory exception on Varnish 2.1.5

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Aug 22 17:11:46 CEST 2012

Hi Connor,

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Connor Walls
<connor.walls at skillpages.com>wrote:

> Hi,****
>
> ** **
>
> We’ve recently been having problems with varnish being killed with out of
> memory problems, our logs show information like this:

This is not a bug in Varnish. It is most probably a misconfiguration. You
either have to little memory in your system or you are asking Varnish to
use too much. I'm guessing you are using -s malloc. Remember that there is
a 1k overhead on each object stored in Varnish.

> ****
>
> **(..) **
>

> **
>
> Now, we’ve been planning from Varnish 2.1.5 to 3.0 for a while, and we’re
> hoping that this will solve our issues, but I just want to check if there
> are known OOM issues in 2.1.5, or is the problem likely to persist after
> upgrading to 3.0?

It will probably persist.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer