varnish server-side caching

Enno van Amerongen enno at tty.nl
Thu Aug 30 15:36:08 CEST 2012

From: [Digital^Dude] ® [mailto:millennium.bug at gmail.com]
Subject: varnish server-side caching

Hi guys,

I set up varnish 3.0.3 on my centos box. I have magento running on a website. Once the website is opened, it browses rapidly. But every time a new user lands on the website, it takes ages to load the first page. If varnish does server-side caching, shouldn't it pick up the index page from the cache and spit it out?

Please suggest what I can do to make the initial hit on the website as speedy as the rest of the surfing hits.

So, what does your VCL look like? what headers are you setting on the backend? what about cookies?

Maybe this will help: https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/VCLExampleCacheCookies

Enno