varnish server-side caching

[Digital^Dude] ® millennium.bug at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:49:11 CEST 2012

Every time I open the website from a different PC, the website loads from
the backend. I can see that from the way the page loads, as well as from:
varnishtop -b -i TxURL
However, if I access the browsed pages again, it loads rapidly.

Is this what varnish is meant to do? I mean, for server-side caching, it
should load pages to each client from the same cache that is present on the
server once it is created (as soon as the first visitor comes on the
website.)
And it should only expire the cache when TTL is reached.

The result of this should be that the website should appear slow only for
the very first visitor and not after that to any visitor until ttl.