Varnish memory usage

Jan-Aage Frydenbø-Bruvoll jan at architechs.eu
Sun Jan 22 16:50:56 CET 2012

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 15:44, Andreas Plesner Jacobsen <apj at mutt.dk> wrote:

> Same rules apply for transient as for any other malloc store: TTL, LRU or
> ban/purge.

Will Varnish keep multiple generations of objects that expire, and
potentially wait with LRU eviction until it gets closer to the known
sensible maximum memory allocation (the host has 128GB RAM)? We do
have a limited number of (smallish) objects cached for 5 seconds as a
somewhat desperate means of shielding our application servers, but the
amount of pages we cache in this way in no way rhymes with the
enormous amount of data kept by Varnish in transient storage. All
other objects are stored for a substantially longer time (i.e. weeks
and above) and should not come into play here.

Putting things into perspective - the transient storage is currently
almost as big as the full on-disk storage of 6 years of data, and
given that this is a newspaper, 95% of the on-disk data would be
long-tail and hardly ever accessed.

Best regards
Jan