Behavior of varnish with paging

Arun Dobriyal arundobriyaliitkgp at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 08:17:24 CEST 2012

Hi,

I am aspiring to use my disk for varnish caching. Since the OS does page
caching in memory also,
this would serve as a two layer of cache (one in memory and one in disk).
Now my concern is to use
almost whole of RAM for page caching (assuming that there is no swap space
in the OS). How to configure
so that I use my memory for caching specifically for varnish. Can I control
the space used by varnish in RAM.

Secondly, I am curious what will happen if I refresh the content of the
cache in the disk and hence the  content
of the disk cache changes . If I use this, the content of the cache will be
modified in the disk, would
it reflect in the RAM as well (I want cache consistency across Page cache
also, Does OS do it automatically, and if it does, will it
write the content in the disk and delete the entry in the RAM)?
And whether varnish will update the content in Swap also (In case I plan to
use the swap space)?

Thanks,

Arun