Varnish returns 503 error.

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:44:35 CEST 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 5:24 PM, Abraham Cruz Sustaita
<abraham.sustaita at buscacorp.com> wrote:
> I'm using varnish to cache the content of my websites. It is working as it
> supposed, but there is a problem. Randomly it returns an 503 error, it is
> really strange, since the app servers are ok and the load is under .8, also
> the database server its ok. Here is part of my configuration:

On Varnish, 503 means an error on the backend connection. Usually this
happens when the web server takes more time than "first_byte_timeout"
to reply to a request. But also, if for some reason the backend can't
connect before the "connect_timeout" delay, it'll give you a 503.

The proper way to debug these kind of things is to use varnishlog on
everything related to these 503 errors.

In your configuration, why you say that restart did not work? It goes
to "error 500 failed"? What happens exactly?

--
[]'s
Hugo