SIze Limitation Problems????

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:35:34 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 3:50 PM, Larry Hoffman
<Larry.Hoffman at trivantis.com> wrote:
[...]
> We have a download folder under the documents root with out exe products.
> These files are 885M or greater in size.
> These larger files are not be served by varnish.
> I uploaded an 18M exe file and that one downloads just fine.

Why exactly your big files aren't served? With big files, you can have
two major problems when serving them with Varnish. One could be the
"send_timeout" parameter, that specifies a timeout serving files to
the client. And the other can be the first_byte_timeout parameter,
that specifies a timeout waiting for the data to come to begin
serving.

Tune up these parameters (on global scope or backend scope) and see if it helps.

But IMHO, Varnish currently isn't efficient serving big, static files,
since it has to download the entire file, put in the cache and serve
to the client, and there's a huge overhead between getting from the
server and serving to the user. This probably will be addressed when
Varnish releases its streaming feature (without the limitations it has
today) on future releases. At this time, I use here a direct web
server to only serve big static files.

--
[]'s
Hugo