Load Balancing and Varnish

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 19:40:38 CEST 2012

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Allan Brand <allan.brand at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to Varnish and I've seen a number of discussions where Varnish
> is used in conjunction with a load balancer in the following manner:
> [LB] -> [Varnish] -> [www 1-n]
>
> I'm guessing that Varnish is running locally on the www hosts?  If
> not, Is there any reason why placing Varnish in front of the load
> balancers instead would not be ideal?
> [Varnish] -> [LB} -> [www 1-n]

Usually you use LB in front of varnish for high availability cases.
Then, if a varnish fails, the other will take over all the work.

But there's no problem using Varnish as a load balancer as it does a
great job, as others said in this thread. But you must pay attention
to the fail over/load balancing on the varnish as well :-)

--
[]'s
Hugo