Load Balancing and Varnish

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Jun 27 11:40:59 CEST 2012

Hi.

Varnish can do that. VCL is a powerful thing. Use the client director and
set client.identity to req.url.

It might be that "client.identity" is a bad name. Maybe it should be
renamed.

Per.

On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 10:24 PM, Jean-Christian BEDIER <jc.bedier at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Real loadbalancer offer more functionality, like hash uri for sticky
> on specific varnish and reduce cache objet redundancy.
>
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 7:57 PM, Allan Brand <allan.brand at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Thanks!  Does Varnish support least-connections or weighted
> > least-connections load balancing?
> >
> > Also, in the scenario of placing a LB in front of Varnish, is the
> > Varnish host a dedicated machine or is it running locally on the web
> > servers?
> >
> > Allan
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 26, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch)
> > <hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Usually you use LB in front of varnish for high availability cases.
> >> Then, if a varnish fails, the other will take over all the work.
> >>
> >> But there's no problem using Varnish as a load balancer as it does a
> >> great job, as others said in this thread. But you must pay attention
> >> to the fail over/load balancing on the varnish as well :-)
> >>
> >> --
> >> []'s
> >> Hugo
> >> www.devin.com.br

> > --

Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer
*Varnish makes websites fly!*
Whitepapers <http://www.varnish-software.com/whitepapers> |
Video<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7t2Sp174eI> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/varnishsoftware>