Question on varnishlog and -m option

Petzel, David David.Petzel at disney.com
Tue Mar 20 22:31:10 CET 2012

I'm a fairly new Varnish user running 3.0.2 revision 55e70a4. We are trying to setup varnishlog daemon on RHEL 5.5 such that it only logs 500 series errors.
The daemon is running as: /usr/bin/varnishlog -a -w /var/log/varnish/varnish.log -D -P /var/run/varnishlog.pid -c -m TxStatus:"5\d{2}"

The problem I am having is that the filter appears to be ignored when writing to file, and every single request is logged instead.
If I remove the "-w /var/log/varnish/varnish.log" from the list of arguments, the results are of course displayed on-screen, however the filter seems to be honored.

I checked https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/reference/varnishlog.html and
this isnt called out as known behaviour, so I am trying to figure out, is the -m filter ignored when writing to file or should the above result
in only 500 series log entries being written to file?

Thanks