vmod-bootstrap

Cosimo Streppone cosimo at streppone.it
Fri Mar 23 23:48:48 CET 2012

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:45:31 +0100, AD <straightflush at gmail.com> wrote:

> no i just wasnt sure if you were aware of it since I think its what
> people are using to start their vmod dev.
> Sorry, i didnt fully check your repo i was just pointing it out.

No problem.

I've been thinking more about this coming back from VUG5.
Trying to imagine the future a little... :)
What if vmod-bootstrap was renamed into varnishmod?

Could it grow into a tool to be shipped with varnish?
Examples:

     # Create a new module skeleton
     varnishmod bootstrap [--config vmod.conf]

     # Operate on the local module in ./ ?
     varnishmod {build,test,install}

     # List all available VMODs, consulting a central db SomeWhere(tm)
     varnishmod list

     # Publish this new module in the central db (w/ some screening?)
     varnishmod push [--config vmod.conf]

     # Download a remote module and optionally install it
     varnishmod download digest
     cd libvmod-digest
     varnishmod install

So, it just makes it simpler to boot the process of VMOD
development, but it also paves the way for further
interesting next steps.

--
Cosimo