How to make Varnish not caching response if they do not have proper cache header?

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Tue Mar 27 22:29:43 CEST 2012

Hi James,

On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 6:42 PM, James Light <j.gareth.light at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm wondering what you mean by this? In what ways does varnish not
> follow RFC 2616's recommendations / requirements for an HTTP cache?

We're a "surrogate cache" or, if you like, a web server with a HTTP
backend. RFC2616 talks about forward proxies when it talks about caches and
what is says isn't relevant for us.

> Do you simply mean that this is because varnish is meant to be used in an
> organization's internal infrastructure and that the RFC's language
> about caching seems to be more in reference to downstream caches run
> by third party organizations that are neither the client nor
> associated with the organizations responsible for the original
> content?

Yes.

Content providers might have their content stumble onto a downstream
forward proxy. I doubt it will stumble into a Varnish server without them
knowing it.

This has been discussed back and forth on the mailing list a couple of
times.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer