Strange 302

Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net Nicholas_Maesepp at scee.net
Wed May 2 02:22:12 CEST 2012

Hi All

 Been running varnish-3.0.2 revision 55e70a4 for a couple weeks using
-smalloc and 6G. Got several of them and they run fine for a couple weeks
and for the 2nd time now the first cache has stopped serving a key css
file and returning a 302. I don't cache the css and I also don't implement
any 302 redirects via varnish.

 GET
http://www.example.com/r09_d71/static/includes/style/portal_combined_min.css
HTTP/1.1" 302 210 "http:/www.example.com/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1;
WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0"

After a restart of varnish only I get

GET
http://www.example.com/r09_d71/static/includes/style/portal_combined_min.css
HTTP/1.1" 200 44805 "http://www.example.com/" "Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT
6.1; WOW64; rv:12.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/12.0"

I believe a few other image objects may also not load properly but it is
hard to tell with a broken css and the interesting part is I don't cache
the css whilst I do the images.

I have made some tweaks(thanks internet), which I may not fully understand
and worked fine in limited testing whilst giving performance improvements.

-p log_hashstring=off \
             -p shm_workspace=32768 \
             -p thread_pool_workspace=262144 \
             -p http_gzip_support=off \
             -p http_range_support=on \
             -p http_req_hdr_len=9072 \

Any ideas why I would get a 302? I track varnish memory using cloudwatch
(in AWS) and at the time of restart it was at 65% and had been on the
decline for a couple hours from 88%. The total Ram on the box is 7.5G so
90% is about the limit varnish will hit. Have I not allowed enough RAM for
worker threads?

# # The minimum number of worker threads to start
VARNISH_MIN_THREADS=30
#
# # The Maximum number of worker threads to start
VARNISH_MAX_THREADS=1000
#
# # Idle timeout for worker threads
VARNISH_THREAD_TIMEOUT=120

Cheers

Nick Maesepp

Sony Computer Entertainment Australia Pty Ltd
Level 1, 63-73 Ann Street Surry Hills NSW 2010
P.O. Box 5023 Darlinghurst NSW 2010
ph: +61 (0)2 9324 9500 fax: +61 (0)2 9324 9558
http://au.playstation.com
http://www.facebook.com/PlayStationAU

THE WORLD IS IN PLAY.
PlayStation®Vita has arrived.
http://www.psvita.com

If you have received this email in error please notify postmaster at scee.net
This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked for
all known viruses.
Sony Computer Entertainment Australia Pty. Limited
Registered Office: Level 1, 63-73 Ann Street, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
Australia
Registered in Australia: 077 583 183