varnish and ram size

shahab bakhtiyari shahab371 at gmail.com
Fri May 4 10:58:11 CEST 2012

On 4 May 2012 10:32, Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen at varnish-software.com> wrote:

> ]] shahab bakhtiyari
>
> > here you can see outputs  from  top, and varnishstat -1
> >
> > top:
> > 12792 nobody    20   0 5639m 3.6g 3.4g S   13  94.3   2:01.63 varnishd
>
> > sm_balloc          3777261568          .   bytes allocated
> > sm_bfree            743198720          .   bytes free
>
> These numbers look consistent.  What -s argument are you giving
> varnishd,

     -s file,/var/lib/varnish/$INSTANCE/varnish_storage.bin,1G"

> and does the storage file already exist on disk with a
> different size?

no it does not exist. I upgraded to version 3.0.2 yesterday. now I notice
that when I  start varnish, it creates a vcl.somechars.so  file instead of
 varnish_storage.bin . Does it have something to say?

 If so, removing it and letting Varnish recreate it
> might be helpful.

generally, isn't there any way to tell varnish how much ram it should use?
 something like malloc  option,  but malloc is well, ment to be used when
varnish is  supposed to use  ONLY ram, right?

> Cheers,
> --
> Tollef Fog Heen
> Technical lead, Varnish Software