Varnish is restarting frequently

Daniel Schledermann varnish at ds.schledermann.net
Wed May 9 15:07:09 CEST 2012

 On Wed, 9 May 2012 18:10:41 +0530, Sparsh Gupta wrote:

>>> VARNISH_STORAGE_SIZE=32G
>>> VARNISH_STORAGE_MALLOC="malloc"
>> if you have 16 Gb of phisical ram you should not malloc 32 Gb, but
>> something less than 16 Gb (usually 20% less than the phisical)
>
> Each box is configured with 24GB of swap. they have 16GB physical
> making them 40GB of available memory. I am using only 80% of it in
> Varnish as adviced.

 It would be more effective for you to use file-storage instead of
 malloc + swap. It does not matter wether you are using SSD or normal
 harddrives.

> I am unable to figure out a lot of sense out of these numbers and
> will
> appreciate any help in fine tuning my varnish instance. I can try
> with
> 30G or 28G but what is an idea number if we can conclude something
> based on this info I found in my syslog
>  if you want to use more than space you may use file instead of ma

 If you have 32G SSD you should cap the memory at around that, but use
 file storage.

 Also you had this in your DAEMON_OPTS:

              -p thread_pools=32 \
              -p thread_pool_min=25 \
              -p thread_pool_max=4000 \

 This is waaaay to high. 2 or 4 threadpools is sufficient, and
 threadpool_max is also very high. It makes for a total of 128000 total
 maximum threads, which I very much doubt that you need.