Cache reload - is this the right way to do this?

Jim Hayter jim.hayter at gmail.com
Fri May 11 20:47:51 CEST 2012

Varnish 3.0.0 on Ubuntu 11.10.

I am trying to modify my vcl to provide a way to load/update cached pages.

My idea is to check for a specific IP and User-Agent in vcl_recv and return
pass for a match.  This should by-pass the cache and go to the back end to
obtain the object.  This seems to work but then my object is not ending up
in the cache.

If a previous object for the request is in cache, it remains in cache and
is returned for subsequent requests.  If the object is not in cache, the
above will not add it to the cache.

Am I missing something or asking varnish to do something it won't by
design?  Is there another way to accomplish a forced retrieval of a cached
object and updating the cache with the new object without banning the
object?

Comments and/or pointers to appropriate doc welcomed.

Thanks,
Jim