Problems with varnish backend health

Winkelmann, Thomas (Radio/Tele FFH - Online) t.winkelmann at ffh.de
Thu May 24 08:03:45 CEST 2012

Hello,

we have a setup with two varnish servers (version 3.0.2) and two backend servers. This setup works fine, if we split the requests with an loadbalancer to the two varnish servers. Around 500req/s 20MBit/s bandwidth on each server.

In Addition we have defined a backend probe which will tests the backend each 10s. This also works fine.

Now, if we switch all requests to one varnish server, after some time (around 20 seconds) the backends will be marked as sick, but they are both up and answering all requests. Also without any backend probe defined in VCL, varnish gets in trouble serving content. Some months ago, we had no problems with this and served more than 400Mbit/s from one single server.

What could be the bottleneck?

Kind regards

Thomas Winkelmann
Web-Entwickler
___________________________________

FFH Digital
Radio/Tele FFH GmbH & Co. Betriebs-KG
FFH-Platz 1, 61111 Bad Vilbel

Tel.:   06101 / 988 - 346
Fax:   06101 / 988 - 555
Email: t.winkelmann at FFH.de<mailto:t.winkelmann at FFH.de>

FFH Digital - Die Webradios
www.FFH-Digital.de<http://www.FFH-Digital.de>

HIT RADIO FFH
www.FFH.de<http://www.FFH.de>

planet more music radio
www.planetradio.de<http://www.planetradio.de>

harmony.fm - Hessens Greatest Hits
www.harmonyfm.de<http://www.harmonyfm.de>

RADIO / TELE FFH GmbH & Co. Betriebs-KG
FFH-Platz 1, 61111 Bad Vilbel
HRA - Nr. 26092 Frankfurt/Main
USt.IdNr. DE 112152620
Gesch?ftsf?hrer / Programmdirektor: Hans-Dieter Hillmoth