Need to add/modify Expires headers for external CDN-provided scripts. Varnish is in the middle of my webstack. Do I do this in Varnish?

randallk867 at 123mail.org randallk867 at 123mail.org
Thu May 24 23:56:31 CEST 2012

My web site is configured with

	nginx/ssl -> varnish3 (reverse proxy) -> drupal7+apache

I've added using Typekit webfonts to my Drupal site. I learned that in
order to prevent FOUT, it's css/js need to load asap.

I did that, so I have

	<!DOCTYPE html>
	<head>
		<title>test</title>

		<script type="text/javascript"
		src="https://use.typekit.com/ccb7lef.js"></script>
		<script
		type="text/javascript">try{Typekit.load();}catch(e){}
		       </script>

It works well.  When I run an optimization scan with YSlow on my site it
reports:

	Grade D on Add Expires headers
	There are 2 static components without a far-future expiration
	date.
		(2012/5/24) https://use.typekit.com/######-d.css?...
		(2012/5/24) https://use.typekit.com/######.js

I want to set/modify the Expire headers specifically for those two
scripts.

Given the stack, and that I already modify other headers in varnish vcl
for this config, do I do THIS in the varnish config as well?

Does the fact that these script are loading from an external CDN affect
this at all?

I did find an old comment @ typekit's support,

	https://getsatisfaction.com/typekit/topics/use_far_future_expires_headers_for_better_caching

that suggests that there's a setting that needs to be 'in' the Typekit
itself.

I'm confused about where this needs to be handled.  So I thought I'd
ask.

RandyK