Question

Aurélien footplus at gmail.com
Fri May 25 22:01:36 CEST 2012

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 9:26 PM, nick tailor <nick.tailor at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does anyone know. If you can have Varnish send traffic to multiple VIPS? I
> dont want to have to provision a separate pair of varnish servers for each
> HA cluster I have.
>
> I have my services going through a LB which the varnish servers will sit
> in front of.
>
> I want to be able to define separate VIP's in the default.vcl so that
> traffic on specific vips go to specific backends, is that possible?

Hello,

Unless i'm mistaken, you just want to implement several backends or
directors, then you can use server.ip and server.port (
https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/3.0/reference/vcl.html#varnish-configuration-language)
in VCL to make the requests go to one specific backend (you need to make
Varnish listen on several IP/Ports on the command-line, though).

You can then use your LB or even let the Varnish director of your choice
handle the load-balancing - depending on your needs. If you have a single
IP per cluster, you can use a single backend.

Regards,
--
Aurélien Guillaume
*