Basic Auth

Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) hugo.cisneiros at gmail.com
Thu May 31 19:56:32 CEST 2012

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Scott Stewart
<scott.stewart at nbtsolutions.com> wrote:
> I have a newly minted varnish (and a newly minted varnish user myself)
> install that has two backends,  as spec'ed in this vcl (below).
>
> The "wms1" has no auth on it.
>
> The "default" backend is a Apache server with basic auth, but no one is
> getting asked to authenticate. My understanding was the out of the box
> config for varnish would not cache those authentication required pages, but
> no one is being asked for a username/password
>
> What am I doing wrong here? The app works perfectly otherwise.

The default varnish config doesn't cache when Authentication is
required. But since you redefined the vcl_recv, it isn't using the
default rules.

Commented out, are the lines that do this:

#     if (req.http.Authorization || req.http.Cookie) {
#         /* Not cacheable by default */
#         return (pass);
#     }

--
[]'s