How to pipe varnishncsa entries?

Paul A. Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Wed Nov 14 15:58:59 CET 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 01:16:41PM +0000, Rowan @ Jetboy wrote:
> ?Ubuntu 12 x64 Server, Varnish 3
>
> I have varnishncsa happily logging away to itself with the following in
> /etc/default/varnishncsa
>
> DAEMON_OPTS="-a \
>              -c \
>              -D \
>              -F '%{Host}i %{X-Forwarded-For}i %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b
> \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-agent}i\"' \
>              -m 'TxHeader:Server: Varnish/3' \
>              -P ${PIDFILE} \
>              -w /var/log/varnish/varnishncsa.log"
>
> and by changing:
>
>     if start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile ${PIDFILE} \
>         --chuid $USER --exec ${DAEMON} -- ${DAEMON_OPTS} \
>         > ${output} 2>&1; then
>
> to:
>
>     if bash -c "start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile ${PIDFILE} \
>         --chuid $USER --exec ${DAEMON} -- ${DAEMON_OPTS} \
>         > ${output} 2>&1"; then
>
> in /etc/init.d/varnishncsa to allow the sending of parameters with
> whitespace in from DAEMON_OPTS.
>
> In *addition* to logging locally, I'd like to pipe the same custom format
> log entries to syslog for remote centralised logging, using this pipe:
>
> |/usr/bin/logger -t varnishncsa.log -p local0.info
>
> Is this possible? If so, how? Ideally I'd like the command within
> DAEMON_OPTS, but my efforts so far haven't resulted in any output to syslog.
> I'm already successfully using a version of the same pipe to put Apache logs
> to syslog.

I'm not familiar with Ubuntu as I use FreeBSD myself, nor bash, as I primarily
use csh, but after reading the start-stop-daemon manpage, there doesn't seem
to be any reason why you couldn't tee(1) stdout.  I imagine something like
the following would work but without having an actual Ubuntu machine to test
on I'm not 100% sure.

if start-stop-daemon --start --quiet --pidfile ${PIDFILE} \
   --chuid $USER --exec ${DAEMON} -- ${DAEMON_OPTS} 2>&1 \
   | tee -a ${output} \
   | /usr/bin/logger -t varnishncsa.log -p local0.info

~Paul

This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message. See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.