Limiting users to the website

Simon Lyall simon at darkmere.gen.nz
Sun Nov 18 23:16:49 CET 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Narayan, Roy wrote:
> I am looking to limit users to the website once we hit capacity. Any new user will be directed to a “busy page” whilst existing
> users can continue on the site.
>
> How can this be achieved via varnish ?
>
> Any suggestions/solutions will be much appreciated.

Give everybody a short-lived cookie. If they have the cookie then serve
them pages as normal.

"New" users won't have the cookie, so make the use a different backend and
make that backend "fail first" with a pretty error page.

--
Simon Lyall  |  Very Busy  |  Web: http://www.darkmere.gen.nz/
"To stay awake all night adds a day to your life" - Stilgar | eMT.