invalidating (ban) a cache problematically, real life maximum?

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed Oct 17 19:01:34 CEST 2012

Hi,

On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM, S Ahmed <sahmed1020 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Per,
>
> Confused, I thought ban and purge are the same thing now in varnish 3?

No.

> Varnish 3 uses the term ban and banning for what was known as purge and
> purging in Varnish 2. They are the same.

No.

>    - Varnish 3 has a new function called purge; that did not exist in VCL
>    in Varnish 2.
>    - purge; is a much improved way of doing what was in Varnish 2 done
>    using set obj.ttl = 0s;.
>

> So when you said limiting ban's to 10-30 per second, you were referring to
> a regex based way of removing an item from cache?

No. I meant you should be careful when doing to many bans. You can easily
purge 10000 objects per second.

And a purge is a specific url?

Please see the documentation for the explanation of what purges and bans
are. If you have problems understanding the documentation then raise an
issue and I'll make sure it becomes easier to understand.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer