Last-Modified, IMS, 304 and ESI includes

Hugues Alary hugues.alary at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 20:49:16 CEST 2012

Hi there,

I've been reading a lot about the Last-Modified header, IMS, 304 responses
and ESI, on various websites and mostly on the Varnish trac because I'm
trying to solve the following problem:

All the pages on my website contain ESI includes. I'd like the pages to
have their Last-Modified header set to the Last-Modified of
the youngest ESI include contained in the page.

All the documentation I read seem to indicate that it has been more or less
on the roadmap for the last few years, I even saw some patches floating
around, but all that stuff seems pretty old and I'm using Varnish 3.0.2 and
could even use 3.0.3.

Is there any way to achieve that? Does the experimental-IMS branch solves
this "problem"? If yes, is it too experimental for production use?

I have the feeling that it is not possible at the moment, but I'd really
like to have this feature as it would fairly improve the performances of my
website.

Thanks for your help,

-Hugues