vmodule data, that would be private per thread

Mikhail T. mi+thun at aldan.algebra.com
Wed Oct 24 15:26:19 CEST 2012

I need to cache and reuse some data in each thread -- to avoid
lock-contention. It does not seem like PRIV_VCL and PRIV_CALL offer
that, so, what I am doing, is this:

 1. init_function creates static version of the data once and
    initializes thread key with pthread_key_create()
 2. each worker functions attempts to extract its thread's copy of the
    data with pthread_getspecific()
 3. if the pthread_getspecific() returned NULL (first call in this
    thread), new memory is allocated and recorded with pthread_setspecific()

Once loaded, the memory is not -- and needs not -- be freed until
varnishd is restarted. This seems to work, however:

  * I see twice as many new-memory allocations as the top limit on the
    number of worker-threads: I run varnishd with -w 4,7 argument, but,
    when I hit it with ab, 14 lines indicating creation of a new copy of
    data are logged (with 14 different thread-IDs).
  * I'm wondering, if there is already Varnish API, that would hide
    these pthread_* manipulations...

Any ideas? Thank you!

    -mi