varnish use case, something like an ebay listing page

S Ahmed sahmed1020 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 21:58:18 CEST 2012

An ebay listing page is a page that will have many reads, and at the same
time it will experience a high load of updates also.

So someone lists an item on ebay, and people will keep checking the page
constantly, but near the end of the listing people will start bidding on
the page (invalidating the cache).

So whenever someone bids, I would write that to a queue, and then I would
somehow send a call to varnish to expire the page correct?

This could result it many calls to varnish per second, is there a
reasonable # of requests per second that varnish can handle? 10 per second,
100, 1000?

Is there a better way to do this?