memory issue when running varnishncsa

Zheng Liu huozhe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:47:09 CEST 2012

Hi,

I tried to use varnishncsa to generate log on disk, so I can have another
daemon tail and analyze it. However, when I enable it, I see varnishd
starts to use more and more memory. I am using varnish-3.0.3 on Ubuntu
11.10. The box has 190G and I configured varnish to use 160G. Its footprint
has been stable at 180G for months. Then after I started varnishncsa,
within 5 hours, all the memory was gone and it starts to use swap. I wonder
if this is expected behavior, and we are suppose to allow more head room
during logging with varnishncsa?

thanks,
Zheng