not sure if Varnish is working correctly

Marco Corte marco at marcocorte.it
Fri Sep 28 19:00:28 CEST 2012

Hi, Mark

I am not an experienced varnish user, but I can tell you anyway how I
would dig into the issue.

- Varnishhist
I would check what "varnishhist" reports in real time during normal site
access to see if varnish is serving cached and non cached objects in
reasonable times: I like it because I can "feel" if everything is
working properly or not.

- Regexp
IMHO this does not affects performances, but I would anyway rewrite some
regexp, for example:

    req.url ~ "^.*/ajax/.*$" ||

should match the same as

    req.url ~ "/ajax/" ||

which I find easier to read and to mantain.

- varnishstat
I started from "Some values to care about" in
http://kly.no/posts/2009_12_08__Varnishstat_for_dummies__.html

No other ideas at this point.

.marcoc