varnish 2x over Solaris10 on Sparc IIIi

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina at rktmb.org
Mon Apr 29 10:41:08 CEST 2013

Hi all,

For an emergency, I just setup a varnish 2 over Solaris 10 on a Sparc IIIi.
1°) Taking v 2.1.5 was a fail as the varnish parent process didnt want
to start
2°) Looking arround the Web, I saw that two versions of Varnish were
available for Sparc (I mean packaged by some other
system/distributions): 2.1.3 and 2.0.4
a - 2.1.3 parent launched, but couldn't connect to the background Apache
b - 2.0.4 gave me satisfaction as it compiles, runs and connects to the
backend.

My application configuration is:
- 1 front varnish on 0.0.0.0:80, configured to connect to 1 Apache
located on the same machine listening on 127.0.0.1:8080
** Varnish is _for the moment_ default configured and the VCL is about
one section declaring the backend
- Application is a Drupal 7 one
- The database is on another machine.

The hardware is: Sun v440, with 1 Sparc IIIi CPU and 8GB RAM

Now, the question is:
Has someone experienced varnish 2.0.4 with Solaris10 on Sparc, and what
about the reliability of that mix? (I ask because Sparc doesnt seem to
be the prior target for support, as stated in
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/ticket/1177 and http://goo.gl/MxZqb)

Thank you for your answers.

--
RMA.