varnish 3 - odd behaviour with using PURGE against cached objects

Mattias Geniar mattias at nucleus.be
Wed Aug 14 09:21:24 CEST 2013

> The cached content isn't something that has been generated after the
>cache being cleared,
> as its age precedes the PURGE being issued.
>
> Unless someone out there knows of a varnish plugin for joomla (similar
>to the 'varnish http
> purge' available for wordpress), then I need to be able to manually
>issue cache purges.

You are performing a purge of the cache from the non-gzipped content. You
purge command does not have the 'Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch'
header, whereas your normal request does. Varnish is simply returning the
gzipped version of the cache where you only flushed the non-gzipped
version.

Easiest fix would be to do 2 purges, one with the Accept-Encoding header
(to flush gzipped content) and one without (to flush non-compressed
content).

Regards,
Mattias