Varnish restart a few times a day

James Pearson james at ifixit.com
Sat Aug 17 00:14:03 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Alex Soo's message of 2013-08-15 21:26:49 -0700:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to varnish and has very limited knowledge in programing or UNIX
>
> I am hosting my own web site on a Mac Mini server. It is all setup and install by freelance programer.
>
> I have notice that varnish is restarting many times a day through log file.
>
> Below is an example :
>
> [snip]
>
> Any advise where I should start looking at? Thanks in advance.

It'd probably be helpful to know the version of Varnish (varnishd -V), as well
as any other information about the installation - do you know how varnish was
installed (downloaded a binary, compiled it), how it's being run (through an
init-script, directly in a screen session, through a monitoring process like
Monit)?  How much traffic are you getting on the machine?  Is anything unusual
happening, like other processes crashing or the machine running out of
available memory?  Are the crash times consistent?  Do they correlate with
anything else?
 - P