Apache->Varnish->Apache

James Pearson james at ifixit.com
Thu Aug 29 22:16:41 CEST 2013

Excerpts from Jack Tuhman's message of 2013-08-29 12:34:13 -0700:
> Hi All,
>
> I have Apache running on port 443 that forwards to varnish, that forwards
> to apache.
>
> While I know most are using nginx to respond to 443 traffic, for reasons
> outside the scope of this question, I need to use apache.

We run a similar stack.

> My issue is, I need apache on 443, to run use a module, that will set
> REMOTE_USER, I need to get this passed to varnish, then to the apache
> running on port 80, so that the PHP application there and use REMOTE_USER.
>
> Has anyone done this?

We don't use REMOTE_USER, but I imagine it wouldn't be too dissimilar from
other headers.  You may need to check the X-Forwarded-User - I'm not sure if
Apache will set that automatically.

At which point in the stack is it getting lost?