Hash and how it works

Viktor Villafuerte viktor.villafuerte at optusnet.com.au
Mon Dec 2 05:51:55 CET 2013

Hi all,

I'd like to ask about 'director hash'. Hash should ensure that the same
request will go to the same backend server (please, correct me if I'm
saying smth that's not right).

In a situation where I have 3 Varnish servers, each of them with the
same backends in 'hash', will the same URL request go to the same
backend no matter which Varnish server processes the request? Or will
each of them decide about its own 'variation' of hash and subsequently
request the same URL from different backend, depending on which Varnish
server processes the request?

Eg in Nginx the carp plugin groups and makes the servers aware of which
server hold which content in the cache. That's what I'm trying to get to
:)

--
Regards

Viktor Villafuerte