PID file not being created on Debian 7?

Etienne Levesque Guitard etiennelg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 23:34:14 CET 2013

I'm having this weird issue where Varnish's init script is not creating the
PID file on Debian 7, which makes it impossible to stop the server via the
service command.

~# service varnish stop
[FAIL] Stopping HTTP accelerator: varnishd failed!

Further inspection reveals the /var/run (symlink to /run) directory doesn't
have the PID file in it when Varnish is running.

The init.d script I have is untouched; it comes from this installation:
https://www.varnish-cache.org/installation/debian

If you don't have the init script on hand, here's the line which is
supposed to create the PID file:

start-stop-demon --start --quiet --pidfile ${PIDFILE} --exec ${DAEMON} --
-P ${PIDFILE} ${DAEMON_OPTS} > ${output} 2>&1;

This extrapolates to:

start-stop-demon --start --quiet --pidfile /var/run/varnishd.pid --exec
/usr/sbin/varnishd -- -P /var/run/varnishd.pid /usr/sbin/varnishd >
$(/bin/tempfile -s.varnish) 2>&1;

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Etienne Levesque Guitard