New user account named "varnish" appeared out of the blue

James Pearson james at ifixit.com
Fri Jan 11 00:48:20 CET 2013

Excerpts from eric schefter's message of 2013-01-10 11:17:51 -0800:
> Derar usres,
>
> I'm running OS X 10.6.8
>
> I installed Bitnami, and then uninstalled it.
> One day later, a new user account appeared on my Mac with the name varnish.
> Is it possible that that account was somehow created by the BitNami installation?
> I'm worried that I've been hacked, and can't find any info on this.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Eric

BitNami includes an installer for Varnish[0].  If you installed, say,
Wordpress[1] or Rails[2], you would've gotten Varnish installed as well as
other stack components.

I can think of no reason why anyone maliciously accessing your machine would
install Varnish on it.

HTH,
 - P

[0]: http://wiki.bitnami.org/Components/Varnish