swf not being delivered

Avery, Jim Jim.Avery at cityofdenton.com
Wed Jan 9 23:56:17 CET 2013

Greetings:

I've managed to muddle through and set up a Varnish server to deliver a few of our Public Safety web pages to external browsers, but for the life of me, I cannot get a handle on why a simple .swf doesn't appear to be making its way to an external user. Internally to our network, it works just fine, but connect to the same webpage from outside, and all I get is a blank gray background, with no content delivered, and it appears that it's still trying to download something.

Running version 3 on Debian 2.6.32. Tried adding this sub to my .vcl file:

sub donotgzipflash {
    if (bereq.http.host == "yourwebserverdomainname.com") {
       if (bereq.url ~ "\.swf($|?)") {
            set bereq.http.Accept-Encoding = "identity";

sub vcl_miss { call donotgzipflash; }
sub vcl_pass { call donotgzipflash; }
to see if it would accomplish anything, but get this when I try to compile it:
=================
root at revproxy:~# varnishd -f /etc/varnish/dpdandmedia.vcl -s malloc,1G -T 172.16.64.52:2000 -a :80
Message from VCC-compiler:
Regexp compilation error:

nothing to repeat

('input' Line 38 Pos 24)
       if (bereq.url ~ "\.swf($|?)") {

-----------------------############----

Running VCC-compiler failed, exit 1

VCL compilation failed
==================

And so far have found nothing to remedy the compile error.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim Avery
City of Denton, TX