[225-19709AAD-074D] Re: Monitoring cache file usage with varnish 3

Gabriel Filion gabster at lelutin.ca
Thu Jul 11 04:40:30 CEST 2013

Hi there, [bringing this back to the list since it doesn't seem like
your message was purposefully aimed at just me]

On 10/07/13 06:33 PM, Suporte Cloud - RedeHost wrote:
> Found in research on the internet the following link, I believe it has
> enough information about Varnish and its tools.
>
> http://www.devin.com.br/varnish-logs/

ah, thanks. I think I was able to make out enough parts of the
portuguese to understand :)

> Hope this helps, if you have more questions or have understood your
> question earlier bad, ask you to return your difficulty explaining in
> more detail.

hmm so according to this page, the values:

SMF.s0.g_bytes and SMF.s0.g_space should represent the cache usage /
total, have I read this out correctly?

If I calculate with what I have:

SMF.s0.g_bytes         256258048          .   Bytes outstanding
SMF.s0.g_space         817483776          .   Bytes available

it gives roughly 245Mb used over roughly 780Mb total for the cache.

but in /etc/default/varnish I have the following as an argument to the
daemon:

INSTANCE=$(uname -n)
DAEMON_OPTS="#[...irrelevant] \
             -s file,/var/lib/varnish/$INSTANCE/varnish_storage.bin,1G"

# ls -l /var/lib/varnish/cache01/varnish_storage.bin
-rw------- 1 root root 1073741824 Jul 10 22:35
/var/lib/varnish/cache01/varnish_storage.bin

so I'm wondering whether the cache file is not used entirely or else the
values don't correspond to the cache file's usage and total size..

--
Gabriel Filion