Swap exceed & Child not responding to CLI, killing it

Hans Schou hans at moc.net
Fri Jun 21 14:14:58 CEST 2013

Den 06/20/2013 04:51 PM, Reinis Rozitis skrev:
> Try setting sysctl vm.swappiness=0 (for permanent add it
> /etc/sysctl.conf and then sysctl -p).
> It should instruct linux to (try) not to use swap at all.
It works much better now. Load less than 1. Fast response. And obviously
no swapping. Thanks!

> p.s. I'm running my varnish boxes without swap at all - the
> behaviour/performance is much more predictable that way (you can test
> how it works out for you with 'swapoff -a')
Will do.

It took rather long time to get rid of the used swap and response became
rather slow, so I was forced to do a restart (and lost a few seconds
uptime). I guess the best way to stop using swap, is by first do a
restart of varnish and then "echo 0 > /proc/sys/vm/swappiness".

--
Venlig hilsen
Hans Schou