-u tag in configuration and multi instance varnish communication

Souvik Bhattacharya souvikbhattacharyas at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 19:58:19 CET 2013

Hi,
    During my Varnish set up I have few questions on the same.
 a) During set up I found a tag '-u' inside DAEMON_OPTS set up. So,
could you tell me what -u actually define in Varnish.

DAEMON_OPTS="-a 192.170.2.1:80,[2001:db8::2]:80 \             -T
localhost:6082 \             -f /etc/varnish/default.vcl \           *
 -u varnish -g varnish **\*             -s
file,/var/lib/varnish/varnish_storage.bin,4G"

b) According to my system need I have two server (Load Balancing)
running two different instance of Varnish.
Now how to configure the same in a way that they will talk with each
other regarding the cache.

For Example :

Server A served a request and stored the data in cache of Varnish of Server
A not Server B has the same request. Now Server B will check is the data
available in it's cache if not then is the data available in Server A 's
cache.

Or another one approach can be taken when Server A stored a data in it's
cache it will also update the cache of Server B.

Really looking for your help on the same.

--
Thanks & Regards,

Souvik Bhattacharya