Varnish 2.1 - Error 503 during Logrotate

Stephen Wood smwood4 at gmail.com
Thu May 2 19:42:50 CEST 2013

Varnish may be marking your backend as "unhealthy" because you're failing
too many health probes during this phase. When Varnish does backend health
polling, it opens a *new* tcp connection to the backend with a
preconfigured request.

I would increase the timeout, window, and/or threshold to see if you can
rule this out. You can read more about backend polling
here<https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/BackendPolling>
.