how to flush director dns ttl

Paul A. Procacci pprocacci at datapipe.com
Wed May 8 08:00:07 CEST 2013

On Wed, May 08, 2013 at 12:44:48PM +0800, Gao Yongwei wrote:
> Hello,lists:
> I am using varnish in a CentOS6.4 box,bellow is version info:
>
> [root at cdn001 ~]# uname -r
> 2.6.32-358.2.1.el6.x86_64
> [root at cdn001 ~]# rpm -q varnish
> varnish-3.0.3-3.el6.art.x86_64
>
> and in my /etc/varnish/default.vcl
> I use ' dns director':
>
> director dnsdomain dns {
>     .list = {
>         .port = "80";
>         "10.0.0.0"/24;
>     }
>     .ttl = 12h;
> }
> notice that the ttl has been set to 12h because I want to reduse dns
> resolve time,there is a domain www.example.com which resolved to 10.0.0.2
> ,after the dns changed www.example.com to 10.0.0.3, varnish cannot find the
> real backend as the ttl  been set to 12h.so I must do a 'service varnish
> reload' to update the director.
>
> Is there any other way to flush the director ttl without  a service reload
> ?  thanks.

I believe the answer is no.  Varnish checks the hostname at compile time,
and doesn't recheck it until the ttl expires.

~Paul

This message may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please advise us immediately and delete this message. See http://www.datapipe.com/legal/email_disclaimer/ for further information on confidentiality and the risks of non-secure electronic communication. If you cannot access these links, please notify us by reply message and we will send the contents to you.