how to flush director dns ttl

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Wed May 8 10:10:27 CEST 2013

Hi Geo,

On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM, Gao Yongwei <itxx00 at gmail.com> wrote:

> notice that the ttl has been set to 12h because I want to reduse dns
> resolve time,there is a domain www.example.com which resolved to 10.0.0.2
> ,after the dns changed www.example.com to 10.0.0.3, varnish cannot find
> the real backend as the ttl  been set to 12h.so I must do a 'service
> varnish reload' to update the director.
>
> Is there any other way to flush the director ttl without  a service reload
> ?  thanks.

The whole point of the DNS director and it's TTL settings is to have
Varnish automatically update the backend definitions based on TTL. So the
only option you have is AFAIK:
1) To lower the TTL so it won't become a problem (speed up your DNS)
2) To modify the DNS director and implement flushing through VCL

Per.
--
 <http://www.varnish-software.com/> *Per Buer*
CEO | Varnish Software AS

Winner of the Red Herring Top 100 Europe Award 2013