reg: cache hits taking longer duration

Ambati, Sugunakar sambati at corp.untd.com
Mon May 20 07:03:24 CEST 2013

Hi,

we have been using varnish for the past few years.

Recently I observed that few requests are taking longer than expected. I am hitting my website say www.abc.com<http://www.abc.com>.

OS: CentOS 5.8 Linux kernel: 2.6 Varnish version: 2.1.4-1

Here is the summary of my test:
1.            Send requests one by one to www.abc.com using curl
2.            Measure the time using curl utility
3.            Total requests sent 2000 ; time taken to send them 30-40 seconds
4.            Observartions: most of requests get served within 0.3 seconds and few take more than 1 seconds and 2-3 requests take up more than 3 seconds
5.            The requests taking 3 seconds are served from cache as I could see the X-varnish headers with 2 numbers.

Need your help in understanding why it takes 3 seconds to serve from cache?

Thanks
Sugunakar