Varnish - set backend if statuscode is 404

Per Buer perbu at varnish-software.com
Fri Nov 29 13:24:59 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 1:15 PM, Jan-Frode Myklebust <janfrode at tanso.net>wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 09:06:15AM +0100, Per Buer wrote:
> > >
> > > @per, you suggested saint mode. Why? What would it do better than
> Tobias'
> > > solution?
> >
> > Saint mode works if you have two backends in the same director. Then it
> > blacklists that object from that backend for a certain time. A restart
> > would then direct the request to the other backend.
> >
> > Tobias solution is to have two backends. The other one is only used when
> > the first one fails.
> >

> Ideally we want both. Our two hosts in the director are fully
> functional, but one of them might not have received a given file yet. So
> we want to try the other backend in the director, not mark it as faulty
> when it gets the 404.

I'm pretty sure you didn't read my reply properly.  :-P

Note that the blacklist is temporary. If you know that you spend up to five
seconds updating your server you set it to 5s.

--
 <http://www.varnish-software.com/> *Per Buer*
CTO | Varnish Software AS

Winner of the Red Herring Top 100 Europe Award 2013